Thursday, November 15, 2007

Ricotta, Orange and Currant Fritters

As soon as I saw this recipe on Vicious Ange's site I could see we'd need to try it. In Ange's version the recipe includes two eggs - the egg whites stiffly whipped to help keep the fritters light. But whilst egg is useful in this context it is not at all necessary. The baking powder provides some aeration and the use of ricotta means the fritters are naturally quite light. I should give credit to my spouse for suggesting that fritters don't need egg. We have a favourite ricotta and corn fritter with smoked cheese which I'd put in the "don't make until Hannah leaves home" category. Missing them, he suggested trying it anyway without the eggs - something that didn't occur to me. Must type up that recipe some time soon, corn season will soon be upon us.

The currants and orange rind give the fritters a vaguely Christmasy aura - I've made them a second time substituting a finely diced fresh apricot which worked well though I'd strongly recommend the use of a non-stick fry pan. Next weekend I think I'll try some cherries. Anyway give them a go - they are easy and delicious, good with lemon and icing sugar, or just lots of melted butter.


1 cup (150g) plain flour, sifted
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder, sifted
1/3 (73 1/3g) cup caster sugar
1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
½ cup (75g) currants

butter for greasing
icing sugar for dusting
lemon wedges to serve

Place, the flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl and combine. Add the ricotta, milk, orange rind, currants and mix gently.

Heat a lightly greased frying pan (preferably non-stick) over medium heat. Cook 2 tablespoons of the mixture in batches for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden. Dust with icing sugar and serve with lemon wedges.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try this! Sounds delicious.
-Capitol Hill

2:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home