Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Happy Birthday to me... afternoon tea sandwiches

I recently had an afternoon tea party to celebrate reaching 40. Mostly it was for me, though naturally I catered carefully for Hannah. She was particularly excited to make and decorate a cake for me (chocolate cake with pink icing, dinosaurs and jelly beans - very sweet!) and she helped me blow out the candles.

I did make a few things that were not Hannah-safe. Partly because I adore fancy cake making and decided that my birthday treat to myself was to take a day off work and cook up a storm. And partly because I felt I've been very overprotective of what my girl encounters and feel that now that she is old enough to understand she can't eat everything. I'm unsure it's the right thing to do though. Poor mite look so crestfallen when she saw the chocolate hazelnut dacquoise put on the table and could see it wasn't for her. Of course when the fairy bread appeared she forgot all about it, but I felt a bit mean. Any thoughts...



Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
cucumber
salt and pepper
white wine vinegar
light wholemeal bread sliced very thinly and lightly buttered

Peel the cucumber and slice into very thin slices. Sprinkle with a little of the vinegar and a little salt and allow to drain in a seive for about 1/2 hour. Pat dry with a paper towel and place 2 layers of cucumber on the bread, sprinkling light with some black pepper, then topping with anoth er slice of bread. Trim off the crusts and cut into small triangles.

Goat Cheese and Watercress Tea Sandwiches
Soft fresh goat cheese
watercress leaves washed and chopped finely
salt and pepper
sliced lightly buttered white bread

Spread the goat cheese on the bread, season and add a watercress. I like a lot, but this does impact on the structural integrity of the sandwich. Mixing the cheese and watercress beforehand may help. Top with another slice of bread. Trim off the crusts and cut into small triangles.

Smoked Salmon Sandwiches
cream cheese
smoked salmon
salt and pepper
lemon juice
freshly chopped dill and chives
sliced lightly buttered white bread

Spread cream cheese on the bread, season and cover in salmon. Squeeze on a little lemon juice and sprinkle dill and chives to taste. Top with another slice of bread. Trim off the crusts and cut into small triangles.

1 Comments:

Blogger paul kennedy said...

Happy birthday. What a nice afternoon tea.

3:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home