Sunday, September 09, 2007

egg-free french toast

This is an egg-free breakfast treat from a vegan source, and is heartily enjoyed by myself and Hannah, though disdained by Hannah's dad who is a French toast purist. I've made it with a couple of different brands of silken tofu, and I should warn that they vary in consistency. An Asian brand from the supermarket made a much thinner batter than an organic brand I found yesterday, so treat the milk quantities as a guide only. The recipe as I received it contained a tsp of vanilla which I've omitted as I don't fancy it and includes the cinnamon in the tofu mix, suggesting maple syrup as a condiment. I was taught to serve french toast with cinnamon sugar, separately, and of course now I'm not allowed to do anything else.

Tofu French Toast

75g silken or soft tofu
2-4 tbs milk
butter
3 slices of stale bread
4 tbs castor sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Blend the tofu and milk in a bowl with a Bamix or liquifie in a food processor. It should be the consistency of two beaten eggs so vary milk as needed. Dip pieces of bread into the mixture and fry in a little melted butter until browned on each side.

Mix sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle on liberally.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenna said...

I never even considered tofu as a sub for eggs before (feeling a bit of a twit about that actually) so I'm thrilled to have something new to try. Giving up most egg things wasn't a hassle, in fact I was sorta thrilled to not have to ever face another plate of my well meaning mom's scrambled eggs... but losing French Toast wears on me after a while. I won't be getting to the store until after New Years, but this is hitting the plate by the weekend.

Thanks.

9:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home