Saturday, May 27, 2006

Finnish Buttermilk Cake


In another Melbourne food blog, Tomatom talks about the sad plight of being served a tea bag in lieu of a proper pot of tea in a place calling itself a tearoom. A good pot of leaf tea is such a fine thing. Lately I've needed to wake my small girl up from her extensive afternoon nap (I believe more that 3 hours leads to trouble in the evening). As a salve to her grumpy state we have afternoon tea. We have what ever cake or biscuit is in the house (or cheese and dried fruit if there isn't), and share a pot of tea. I guess you could say Hannah really has milk with tea (just a drop to faintly colour the milk). She so enjoys the ritual of making the tea. Also she has the important duty of tea-strainer placement).

Yesterday we had some of this cake:

Finnish Buttermilk Cake

2 ½ cup plain flour
1 ½ cup caster sugar
1 ½ tsp bicarb
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground clove
2 tsp grated orange rind
½ cup melted butter
1 ¾ cup butter milk

Sift dry ingredients, make a well in bowl and add wet ingredients. Pour into greased and sugared (using 1 tsp of castor sugar) 23cm ring or gugelhopf tin.

Bake 1 hour in 180°C oven.

Dust with icing sugar

5 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

Excellent. Another blog keeping the pure tea leaf alive!

9:52 pm  
Blogger plum said...

The colours and sunlight in this photo are so lovely! It makes me want to sit there and take tea too!

10:34 pm  
Blogger Niki said...

I love the image this conveys! I also grew up with proper leaf tea and get very grumpy when served tea bags when out. The days of the instand coffee sachet is gone, so why do we still get tea bags. No, I'm a huge fan of real tea leaves, and can drink a whole pot of it at one sitting.

1:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum, this cake sounds like a winner. i make tea the real way on most occassions and its so beautiful that you share this ritual with your daughter, which i am sure she will cherish for years to come :)

8:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful recipe. It turned out beautifully for me this weekend. It rose so well! My egg- and nut-allergic toddler was absolutely thrilled. I added a simple milk and powdered sugar glaze on it because my daughter wanted to add sprinkles to it. Thanks for the great recipe!

4:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home