Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Cured Salmon



I've no idea where I found this recipe, though I seem to recall it originally specified a very large piece of fish, indeed possibly a whole salmon. I make it often when its hot and I'm organised - its one of those dishes you need to plan at least 24 hours ahead. And yes we've had a bit of hot here in Melbourne lately, so this has been on high rotation - and the small girl loves it.

I've posted the recipe as it is in my recipe file, and offer the following amendments for the frazzled cook. If you don't have any white wine in the house, red works ok, though the skin of each slice will have a faint blush. I haven't tried any other alcohol yet. If you are short of time you can skip adding the zests. The dill and mustard layer is usually missed here as I usually forget about it until too late. The small girl is not big on herbs either. The fish has never lasted 10 days in our house so I cannot confirm that it will be safe to eat at this point.

In the photo is the ubiquitous mashed potato - it will not be eaten in any other form. If I was to have my way it would be the Stephanie Alexander potato salad which is sensational and totally mayonaise free. I'll try to post it soon.


1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp white peppercorns
75 g table salt
25 g sugar
zest of 1/2 orange
zest of 1 lemon
85 ml lemon juice
40ml orange juice
50 ml white wine

1 fillet of salmon, skin left on, bones removed (use pliers)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 bunch dill

Roughly crush coriander seeds and peppercorns and combine with other ingredients (except mustard and dill). Whisk to dissolve salt and sugar. Pour into dish and submerged fillet. Leave for 24 hours in the 'fridge, turning after 12 hours.

Remove salmon from marinade and brush with a clean cloth, removing excess zest. Brush skinless side of fillet with mustard and coat with finely chopped dill. Wrap tigthly in cling film, and rest in refridgerator for 2 hours.

Cut finely with knife at an angle towards the skin.


Can be kept safely for up to 10 days.
Serve with squeeze of lemon, crema fresca and lightly toasted sour dough. Good with stout.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that info - I'd never even considered that that was what I was making So next time I've no wine in the house it'll be a spot of vodka!

Had a peek at your blog - love those macarons, they just look dreamy.

10:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home