Sunday, April 30, 2006

Coconut Cake


I've a bit of a weakness for coconut in sweet things. At school fetes I always head straight for the tables with sweet stuff for the coconut ice (have never had a good commercial one, and it's no fun to make). And I love the old bounty chocolate bar. So I've been looking for a good coconut cake recipe for a while, and I think this might be it. It's adapted from Nigella Lawson's 'Forever Summer' where it is call Coconut Slab and she makes enough for a crowd (cooked in a baking dish!). I've reduced the cake size, added some desicated coconut to the cake mix, removed the eggs and changed the icing, it just seemed obvious to use chocolate (and I've rather a lot spare from the chocolate sampling of the previous post). I used a 19cm square cake tin, and as you can see from the photograph, it ended up a bit on the thin side. I don't mind this, but a slightly smaller tin could be an option.

115g unsalted butter
115g castor sugar
4 tbs milk
135g plain flour
1 1/3 tsp baking powder
15g cornflour
100ml coconut cream (ie the thick tinned stuff - not the thin coconut milk)
1/2 cup desicated coconut

Chocolate for coating the top of cake (I used about 75g)

Cream butter and sugar until light, then add milk and mix in thoroughly. Add both flours and baking powder and mix well, then stir in coconut cream and desicated coconut. Put into a lined tin (19cm square for a thin cake) and bake at 180 degrees celcius for 30 minutes or until done.

Melt chocolate in bowl over container of boiling water (ie using water that is boiling hot, but not on the stove) and spread over cake.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda and Debbie said...

Does it still have a cake like texture without the eggs? Can you liken it to something similar? Very inventive to base your cake on a chocolate bar.

12:49 pm  
Blogger din said...

It is cake like in texture, but quite crumbly, which I suspect is mainly because of the desicated coconut in it. I can't think what else I'd compare it with, it's pretty much just a coconutty butter cake. My husband suggested one could think of it as an inside-out lamington which I find amusing. But then it should be split and have a layer of raspberry jam and cream inside which is not such a bad idea

3:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home