Sunday, November 06, 2005

Fish Kebabs

I'm always trying to find ways of introducing more oily fish into our diet. Finding this recipe the other day thrilled me to bits. Both easy and very yummy. And the novelty of having food on sticks makes the small girl enthusiastic too. You need to watch the marination time, too long and the tuna doesn't taste too much of tuna anymore. The recipe is adapted from 'Campion and Curtis in the Kitchen'.

I don't think I've mentioned in other posts that I no longer cook with sesame seeds or sesame seed products (tahini, sesame oil etc) as they cause an instant nasty face rash on the small girl. This recipe does call for sesame oil, but works fine without it. If anyone out there knows how to make a decent hummus without tahini I'd be very interested!

1 big piece of tuna (about 350-400g)
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs mirin
1 tsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp brown sugar


Cut the tuna into bite size chunks (about 2cm cubes - but accuracy here is not an issue). Mix the marinade ingrediants and marinate tuna for no more than 30 minutes.

Thread the chunks onto bamboo skewers (with this quantity of fish I aim for 5 skewers - 2 for me and spouse, one for the small girl).

Fry in a hot frypan for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, turn over and cook for a further 1 1/2 minutes (this allows for the tuna to be a little rare in the middle - cook more if you desire). Serve with rice and stir fried bok choy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there .
Having a 3 yr old girl with sesame,nuts and eggs allergy I find your receipe very helpful
Thank you
Mum from London, UK

12:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home