Monday, October 24, 2005

Curried Sausages

I don't know what to say about this - I sort of assume everyone makes curried sausages. It was a landmark dish in our lives. The small girl was a shocking eater when she started solids. I'd take so much care steaming and pureeing and so on, and pretty much all of it got spat out. Then one day she had a little of my dinner of curried snags, and it became clear that she needed food with much more flavour. She now has a slightly obsessive relationship with our tin of curry powder. (I use the Keen's brand. I now keep it carefully hidden away, as if it's in sight and within reach the small girl delights in sniffing it, and then shaking it, and the last time she had access to it, she tipped it over her head.)

Anyway I probably cook this once a fortnight, using the best plain snags I can find. It's nice with rice, peas, yoghurt and a little chutney.

8 - 9 sausages
1 onion, chopped
1 - 2 carrots, diced
1 - 2 apples, diced
1 tomato, diced
1 stick of celery, diced
1 tbs Curry Powder
2 tbs coconut
1 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2 cups of chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste

Put sausages into cold water and bring to the boil, boil for one minute then drain. Remove the sausage casings if they are becoming a little loose.

Saute the onion in a little oil then add vegetables and saute briefly.

Add stock, sausages and remaining ingrediants and cook in a covered casserole for 45 minutes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paisley said...

I tried this recipe out last night. I love sausage casseroles and this is much tastier than using those Continental powdered mixes!

4:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home