Thursday, September 21, 2006

no food in this one

I haven't written for a while - partly as I've been exhausted by the number of colds I picked up this year, and partly as the kitchen is not ... quite ... finished ... yet ...

The functional bit of the kitchen is all done - the immense pleasure of using a fully functional stove is only slightly clouded with getting my head around this fan-forced oven business. I still feel my back sing as I prepare food at a 95cm high bench. And there is almost enough storage. Remaining to do is painting, light installation and new flooring (which will be marmoleum - beautiful genuine lino in a bright blue shade). So we continue to live with the 'fridge in the bathroom, kitchen table in the louge room and lots of other stuff in passages and under beds.

The painting would have been finished months ago, but I foolishly decided the wood paneling around the walls (I believe dado is the correct albeit ridiculous word) would look better if stripped before painting. I did not anticipate what a mammoth task this would be.

This is just at start of the process - aren't the different colours pretty? We're much more efficient now at removing more paint in one go, but I'll spare you the details.



This is what was underneath. And what keeps me going, I really rather like that dark rail! Shame it turns to pine half-way around the room.

I won't go on as I don't want to turn into a renovation blog. Hope to blog more when I cook more. Well, see how we go.

3 Comments:

Blogger GS said...

hfaIt took months for us to paint the remaining couple of rooms after the reno - but anything's bearable once you have a functioning kitchen :)

Got any low allergy pies you'd like to review - the great pie review is now on at letmeeatnow.blogspot.com/2006/09/inaugural-we-do-chew-our-food-pie.html All you need is a paragraph and submit it by monday night.

8:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The few I've considered have had egg glazes, but not being a big pie eater I've not done an exhaustive search. Now the subtle variations on the spinach cheese pastry thingy - I've been meaning to review a few of those!

9:50 pm  
Blogger LBA said...

ooh, but I love to hear of reno's ! :)

We once had our bed in the kitchen. Our fridge served as a bedhead. It was all fun back then, but I suppose it's a LOT harder with kids ...

Good luck !

7:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home